November 7, 2019
YOU ARE. (a little love letter from me to you.)
Who are you?
I’ll tell you.
- You are loved. Don’t skip this first one because it seems generic & cliche. You may have been born out of biology & free will, but make no mistake that the second you gained a beating heart, God’s reflection took place within you. Before you took your first breath, God desired you, & he’ll keep desiring you every day of your life with the greatest love every experienced. God sees himself in you. Don’t underestimate that power.
- You are worthy. What are your passions? You are worthy to desire them, dream about them, & pursue them. Those little gems in your soul aren’t there just for kicks. They are meant to guide your life. You are worthy of those good works that bring you joy. Do the thing. Small, Audacious, Silly, Hard. Do the thing.
- You are strong. I’m talking mental strength here. You have access to the tools to do hard things. You have access to the tools to put your head down & work. You have access to the tools to put one foot in front of the other. You have access to the tools to laugh when things don’t go your way. You have access to the tools to be flexible when a wrench is thrown in your plan. You have access to the tools to do the next right thing.
- You are kind. You can be frustrated & still be kind. You can get a point across & still be kind. You can engage in hard conversations & still be kind. You can disagree & still be kind. Choosing kindness is never a loss. There are plenty of times when you don’t have to be sweet. But you can always be kind.
- You are creative. You don’t have to be a painter to be creative. You can be creative in how you problem solve. You can be creative in how you arrange a room to better facilitate conversation. You can be creative in the blend of spices you use for that pasta dish. You can be creative in the game you make up on the fly to occupy your kids. If you are alive, you are creative. Don’t sell yourself short. The good news is the more you practice creativity, the more creative you become.
- You are enough. You do not need to become someone else. You do not need to be a different enneagram number. If your life consists of putting one foot in front of the other & doing the next right thing, you are doing your best, & you are enough. If you are aiming to be the best version of YOU today while loving yourself on your journey, especially on days you slip or fail or bust, that is literally the best thing you can do for yourself & the people around you.
- You are your surroundings. The dialogue around you orchestrates the dialogue in your head. So ask yourself what the best version of you looks like, & then go find influence to support her. You can’t control who you work with or who’s in your family or who’s in the assigned seat next to you in school. But you do choose who you let in your inner circle. You do choose the thoughts & actions you harbor in your heart.
- You are light. On the brightest day & the darkest night, you have light in your soul. Just like being loved, it just is because when you became a part of creation, God’s reflection took up residence like a magnet. Where there is God, there is love. Where there is God, there is light. Own your light, & use it to shine bright in whatever capacity that looks like today.