CINNAMON SUGAR POP TARTS
So we’ve switched things up a bit with our cooking show & have now started focusing on things we can make for weekday breakfasts . Homemade breakfasts are fun, but I don’t know anyone who gets up at the crack of 5 to make homemade pancakes on a Tuesday. What’s even better is if we’re baking something for breakfast, chances are it freezer beautifully so we’re helping our future weekday morning selves while we’re at it!
Usually, we keep things pretty simple– we’re talking muffins, bars, & anything a five year old will eat in the mornings while I braid her hair to The Lion King soundtrack.
I’ll choose maybe three options & let her make the final call. Well, last week I had the audacity to throw out the idea of pop tarts, & she was naive enough to take me up on it thinking it classified as our normal “simple.”
You guys, Pop Tarts are foil wrapped pieces of art. Frosting or no frosting, these little pastries have stood the test of time & have been found victorious on the breakfast aisle for nearly all of time.
They aren’t the healthiest.
I thought, Hey! Let’s make healthy pop tarts!
If I’ve learned one thing, it’s you can’t take a junk food & re-create it to be healthy & think it will still taste like a pop tart. So let’s just get that out of the way now. But if they made Pop Tarts back in Biblical times, well then whoah girl, watch out because these might be them.
Like most things of an advanced nature (such as the violin, baton twirling, & synchronized swimming), practice makes perfect. What makes these homemade pop tarts qualify as an advanced project, you ask? You have to use an actual tape measure, you guys! This high maintenance dough demands to be exact. And I plan on trying these again because I know I could do some things differently– like roll the dough thinner & try some different fillings. These pop tarts are gluten free, dairy free, & refined sugar free, so you have to make everything else perfect because you don’t have butter & sugar working in your flaky crust favor!
I’m still posting the recipe here because 1) we still had a fun time making them together & 2) if you take my advice & roll your dough super thin, you might create a masterpiece on your first go!
2 1/2 C almond flour
1 1/4 arrowroot flour
1/8 tsp salt
2 egg whites, chilled
1/4 C cold palm shortening
2-3 T (possibly more) ice water
1 egg yolk + 1 T full-fat coconut milk (egg wash)
1/4 coconut sugar
1/4 maple sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp coconut flour
OR….fill with Nutella! or a jam/cream cheese mix!
1/4 C arrowroot powder
1/4 C maple sugar
1 ounce raw cacao butter, melted
1 T egg white
1/4 tsp vanilla
OR….mix 1/4 package full fat cream cheese with 2-3 T pure maple syrup & 1/2 tsp vanilla…BOOM!
- In your food processor, pulse your almond flour, arrowroot flour, & salt.
- Add egg whites. Pulse.
- Add shortening in pieces & pulse.
- Add ice water 1 T at a time & process until dough forms.
- Pack dough into a ball & flatten into a disk. Cover with plastic wrap & store in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Mix your filling ingredients while you wait! Brew some tea. Do a little dance.
- Roll the dough between two pieces of parchment paper until 1/8 inch thin. Really try for the thin dough!
- Trim your dough so it’s a rectangle.
- Measure your dough & cut into three even pieces. Cut each of those three pieces in half to make six rectangles.
- Put three of your rectangles on a parchment lined baking sheet in the freezer to keep the dough cold while you put 2 T of filling on the other three pieces. Leave a thin border to brush some egg wash.
- Remove the top pieces of dough from the freezer & seal on to bottom pieces with fingers. Crimp with a fork to be a fancy pants!
- Place holes all over with a toothpick.
- Place back in the freezer for 20 minutes & pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brush tarts with more egg wash.
- Bake 12-15 minutes.
- Whisk frosting ingredients of choice together & wait for tarts to cool completely before frosting!
And did ya hear? We are getting fancy & posting our cooking show videos on IGTV (that’s Instagram TV) now! So you can view the show anytime you want by heading to my profile (JennaWinegeart). I’d love for you to bake right along with us!